Monday 21 November 2011

Week 12- Dormer, History and Silence













Well, last week Justin came back for another day, put the dormer up and then disappeared for a week to another job... so all has been very quiet. Although
I was initially furious that no one was going to be on site at all (the building equivalent of being stationary on the M4 on a Friday- even 2 miles an hour feels better than not moving at all....) I found myself with my first proper winter cold and was soon quite relieved I could cuddle up with a bovril and not have to make any big decisions for a few days, not to mention the luxury of peace and quiet.
Feeling a bit better today I found some bits of the original purlins that had had to be sawn off and found a short history of taste in exterior paint colours! From what I can tell the purlins- and presumably the decorative barge boards -
before they were yellow
they were brown, before they were brown
they were red...
then they were a bright blue
then a paler blue
then a mint colour!
I wonder how far that takes us back? Maybe not as far as you think given we are supposed to paint exterior woodwork every few years... but I bet it could be as much 30 or 40 years! Fascinating! (well for the geeky historian in me!)



No comments:

Post a Comment